A house with shutters gives you certainty regardless of the weather. It also has a classic feel beyond being a source of privacy. Some people install shutters for the sake of installation. However, there are incredible benefits when you add shutters to your house. You should also make particular considerations when choosing shutters to ensure that they meet your expectations.
Benefits of Having External Shutters on Your House
- Protection – external shutters ensure that external elements to not interfere with the inside of your house. This is especially important in areas that experience violent storms. The shutters will protect your window panes from objects that are usually propelled by the wind. This function will only work if the shutters are made of high quality and resistant materials.
- Decorative- this is an exclusive function for people who live in areas that experience less violent storms or natural disasters. There is a classic feel that accompanies the presence of shutters on a house. The shutters also come in a variety of designs and colors to suit the overall appearance of your house. When a house if on sale, the type of shutters installed will raise its value.
- Security- exterior shutters are installed over window panes and windows with large openings through which thugs can find access to your house. You can reinforce these openings using shutters. You will need to use stronger materials in manufacture of the shutters. Make the external shutters flexible enough to allow you use the windows normally.
- Privacy- exterior shutters are installed on over window panes that are usually transparent. They prevent direct view into your house from the outside. This adds a sense of security since intruders will not be aware whether you are indoors or outdoors. They therefore act as deterrence and conceal your interiors ensuring that only you are aware of your presence or the activities taking place in the house.
- Insulation- external shutters provide an added layer of insulation over your house. The shutters will ensure that direct sunlight does not hit the interior of your house. This enables you to regulate the temperature inside or outside. The extra space between the window pane and shutter also enhances insulation. In the absence of draft or with reduces speed, the temperature inside your house is easier to maintain, either cool or hot.
- Added Convenience- shutters can perform more than one function. They can protect your window panes and also act as a wall. In fact, in areas where you want extra air like a pool room, it is advisable that you install external shutters. They may be at a window section or a door section. It is the design of the room that will determine where they are installed. This also serves as a cost cutting measure.
It is no doubt that exterior shutters add incredible value to your property. However, this is only possible if you know how to pick the best design for your house. Here are tips by experts on what to consider when choosing exterior shutters.
- Color- ensure that the color of your shutters complement that of your house. A home has typically two or three main color themes. Through professional design, the interior and exterior of your house stays within these color themes. The honor is on you to maintain these color themes even on external shutters. It enhances the overall appeal of your house. Do not overwhelm the entire house or compound with a single color. Further, the color of shutters should complement those of the frames.
- Placement and size- different styles of exterior shutters demand a particular allowance in terms of space. This ensures that they fit on the window space and complement the overall design of your house. When external shutters are placed wrongly, they may affect the overall appearance of your house and even cause it depreciate in value. Take accurate measurements of every window where you intend to have shutters. The external shutters should also be big enough or of a size that is sufficient for them to cover the entire space on the window. Whether the shutters will remain closed or will be open at time, they must be chosen and designed to naturally fit on the space provided. Even a window with a single shutter must be fitted professionally to avoid giving your house a shaggy appearance.
- Style- this is a crucial consideration because it will determine the convenience of use and overall appearance. There are different types of exterior shutters in the market. The types are determined by personal preference and what complements the overall style of your house. Availability and cost may also determine the style you use. Some of the styles of external shutters include solid, French country, functioning louvers, closed louvers, paneled shutters, solid and board shutters, among others. The choice you make will affect the overall appearance of your house.
- Material used- external shutters are made of different types of materials including wood, synthetic, iron and steel, among others. Each material presents different dynamics in terms of color, strength and maintenance. For instance, if you choose synthetic shutters, you will have to contend with color limitations and extra weight. However, these external shutters are perfect at withstanding extreme weather. The material you choose should be functional and stylish for your house. Window shutters north east